Duntulm Castle, Duntulm, Trotternish, IV51 9UF
The ruins of Duntulm, a castle dripping in horror and anguished ghosts, so much so that the MacDonalds, who had captured the castle from the MacLeods, were forced to flee in 1730. Indeed, if the four ghosts were in full cry at the same time one can imagine it would scare even the most courageous warrior.
The dungeons are haunted by Hugh MacDonald, who is alleged to have tried to steal his family’s land and was starved to death in the castle dungeons as a result. He was chained and fed just salt beef and no water, and in the end, he went raving mad. One story has it that he tried to eat his own hands before he died.
His sworn enemy and the man who captured and starved him was Donald Gorm Mor, and it is said you can see him brawling with other ghostly figures. Then there is Margaret, who howls in anguish. It is said that she was rejected by her husband after she lost her eye in an accident, and she never recovered from the distress.
And finally, on some nights, you can hear the hysterical screaming of a housemaid who used to hold the son of a clan chief up to the window so he could see the views, but, in a tragic accident, dropped him out of the window and on to the rocks below.
She was punished by being set adrift in a boat, and her restless spirit remains in the ruins to this day.
A87 Road - Between Sligachan and Portree
Skyes's A87 road and especially the part that connects Sligachan and Portree at the centre of the island does offer breathtaking views, but event this location is accompanied by extraordinary legend; many claim that the main road by Sligachan, on the East of the island, has been the setting for the spectral appearance of a 1934 Austin. The first documented appearance was reported by Dr Allan MacDonald in 1941, and it's again mentioned by Elizabeth Byrd who mentions the car in her book A Strange and Seeing Time.
People who have reported seeing the Austin, claim they have had to pull over to let the car overtake them, however after passing the car vanishes. Sightings of the car date back as far as the 1940's and it is claimed the ghost car is a result of a tragic accident that caused the driver, a church minister, to lose his mind with guilt.
Dunvegan Castle, Dunvegan, Isle of Skye
Many stories are surrounding Dunvegan Castle on the Isle’s Eastern coast. This is the ancestral seat of the Clan MacLeod and makes a claim to be Scotland’s oldest inhabited castle, having remained in the hands of the Clan for some 800 years. Parts of the castle are thought to date back 1000 years, and unlike many other castles in the country, it has remained in private hands, though it is open to the public for visits and tours.
As you might expect, the castle is haunted, but by relatively soft and gentle ghosts when compared to other old castles in Scotland.
It is one of the most photographed castles in Scotland and one of the most visited, in part at least because of the presence there of the Fairy Flag, the silk remains of a flag possibly dating back to the Crusades and made in either Rhodes or Syria. The room where the flag is kept mounted behind glass sometimes emits ethereal and beautiful music even though it contains no means of making music. And although no-one has ever seen him, a piper sometimes plays the pipes in the castle’s south tower.
Old Diatomite Factory at Lealt, Lealt, G742BX
Skye's history of the diatomite, lay-like floury grey substance, found in certain freshwater lochs, dates back to 1899. The area of the Lealt was adjusted towards the production, and it included a light railway and drying factory.
The old diatomite drying factory was located on the shore of the Lealt Bay, with a strategic position anchoring puffer boats where the local skiffs were used to transport the finished Diatomite from beach to boat, ready for shipping to the mainland. There were around 40 to 50 people steadily employed at Lealt, yet on days that the ship came in this total rose to as many as 80 workers.
Perhaps one of the most intriguing aspects of the mine's history comes from the ownership of the drying factory at Invertote by Germans.
Although closed during the period of the Great War, surprisingly the now enemy foreign residents were allowed to stay on. Shortly afterwards a rumour began to circulate that the area was haunted and that the ghost of a recent tragic death at the Lealt falls had appeared at the factory. As the local story goes, the rumour was actually started by the Germans with the intent of keeping locals away. It turned out that the resident Germans were spies and that, almost unbelievable to the community, the area was being used as a German base with submarines surfacing in the sea bay!
Jakub Bors - Assistant General Manager - 29/10/2018
All images © 2017-2018 Jakub Bors – www.borsphotos.com © Sonas Hospitality Ltd and the website www.skeabosthotel.com, 2018. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Sonas Hospitality Ltd and our website www.skeabosthotel.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.